The diary, shown below, features upcoming walks until June 2018. (This includes Wednesday recce walks, please see end of programme for more information.) If you have not been out with us before please click here for important information on the walks, including how they are graded. You will find advice there on travel, clothing, refreshments etc. as well as a full copy of the published programme.
Saturday 24th March
1. CHIRK TO GOBOWEN via Pentre, Black Park, Glynmorlas and Rhosweil (11 miles moderate)
Leaders Audrey Menhinick and Barbara Phillips Depart Shrewsbury 09.25 Return Gobowen 16.54
2. PREES TO WEM via Quina Brook and Newtown (9 miles moderate)
Leaders Judith Griffiths and Nick Marshall. Depart Shrewsbury 10.18 return Wem 17.55 (possible 15.58, tbc.) Book return to Prees.
Note from leader The ground is very waterlogged in places with quite a few difficult/disintegrating stiles to cross. Please come prepared.
Saturday 31st March
1. NEW LLANBADARN FYNYDD TO KNIGHTON via Fron Top, Stanky Hill, Wernygeufron Hill and Knucklas (15 miles strenuous)
Leaders Mick Guest and Liz Cruikshanks Depart Shrewsbury 07.29, arrive Newtown 08.06, then T4 BUS to Llanbadarn Fynydd. Return Knighton 16.21
2. BORTH CIRCULAR via Taliesin and Tal-y-Bont (8 miles moderate)
Leaders Liz and Bob Owen. Depart Shrewsbuy 9.31 return 17.43 (tbc)
Saturday 7th April
1. HOPTON HEATH TO LUDLOW via Leintwardine, River Teme, Burrington and Pipe Aston (14 miles energetic)
Leaders Dennis Jones and Chris Jenkins Depart Shrewsbury 09.00, return Ludlow 16.22
2. NEW WHITCHURCH CIRCULAR via Edgeley, Alderford Lake, Belton and Danson Farm (7 miles easy)
Leaders Janet Nowill and Doug Hill. Depart Shrewsbury 10.18 return 16.27
Saturday 14th April
1. NEW KNUCKLAS TO KNIGHTON via Heyhope and Lloyney (12 miles possibly up to 13.46 miles with 2733 ft of climbing, energetic)
Leaders Mark Phillips and Julie Depart Shrewsbury 09.00, return Knighton 16.21 Note from leaders they are aiming to achieve an average 2.5 mph with total time of 30 mins for breaks in order to catch the train. (The next scheduled service after that is 21.18.)
2. LLANGOLLEN CIRCULAR via Castell Dinas Bran, Bryn-Hyfryd, Tan-y-fron, Brittania Inn, Llandynan and Llantysilio Farm (7 miles moderate)
Leaders Pam Swales and Clare Gathercole. Depart Shrewsbury 9.25 (book Ruabon return) then BUS to Llangollen. Return BUS Llangollen to Ruabon for train 16.42 (bus fares extra).
Wednesday 18th April
NEW CHURCH STRETTON TO PULVERBATCH via the Long Mynd and Betchcott Hill (9 miles energetic)
Leaders Les Lumsdon and Mike Ledlie. Depart Shrewsbury 09.14, return BUS (fare extra) 15.35, arrives Shrewsbury 16.05
Saturday 21st April
1. LLANGOLLEN CIRCULAR via Horseshoe Falls, Maesyrychen Mountain, Horseshoe Pass, Cyrn y Brain and Worlds End (16 miles strenuous)
Leaders Pat Talbott and Chris Jenkins Depart Shrewsbury 08.22 for Ruabon BUS to Llangollen Return Ruabon 16.42
2. NEW RODINGTON TO SHREWSBURY via Shropshire Way.
Leaders Trevor Allison and Doug Hill (8.25 miles easy). Depart Shrewsbury 08.47 book to Wellington. Depart Wellington BUS station service 16 (stand D) 09.20 to Rodington (Bus fare extra).
Saturday 28th April
1. NEW STOCKPORT TO MACCLESFIELD via Disley, Lyme Park and the Gritstone Trail (13 miles energetic)
Leaders Douglas and Ian Hill Depart Shrewsbury 08.52 for Stockport Return BUS from Macclesfield, return Crewe 17.20 or 18.09
2. NEW WELLINGTON CIRCULAR (Bluebell Walk) via Limekiln Wood, Wenlock Wood and the Wrekin. (10 miles strenuous but with options)
Leaders Pamela Hill and Steve Paynter. Depart Shrewsbury 09.33 return Wellington 17.07
Saturday 5th May
1. TYWYN TO BARMOUTH via the Welsh Coast Path (16 miles strenuous)
Leaders Brian and Jenny Jones Depart Shrewsbury 07.29 Return 16.56
2. COLWALL TO LEDBURY via British Camp, Swinyard Hill, Ridgeway and Eastnor (8 miles moderate)
Leaders Neville Homent and Doug Hill. Depart Shrewsbury 8.33 to Birmingham New Street. Depart Birmingham New Street 9.49 to Colwall, return Ledbury 15.58 (Book Ledbury return)
Saturday 12th May
1. NEW WELLINGTON STATION TO SHIFNAL via Little Wenlock, Coalbrookdale, Coalport, Brockton, Kemberton and Grindleford (19 miles strenuous)
Leaders Pat Talbott and John Parnell in cooperation with the Ironbridge Gorge Walking Festival. Depart Wellington 08.35 Return Shifnal 16.46
2. NEW HOPTON HEATH TO CRAVEN ARMS via Heart of Wales Trail, Hopton Castle, Clunbury, Aston-on-Clun, Hopesay and Sibdon Carwood (8.75 miles moderate)
Leaders Graham Baker and Trevor Allison. Depart Shrewsbury 09.00 (book Hopton Heath return). Return Craven Arms 14.56
Wednesday 16th May
NEW MYDDLE TO YORTON via Newton on the Hill (7 miles leisurely)
Leaders Les Lumsdon and Mike Ledlie. Depart Shrewsbury BUS station 10.45, return Yorton Railway Station 16.03
Saturday 19th May
1. NEW BORTH CIRCULAR via Taliesin (over the hills) and Llandre (17 miles strenuous)
Leaders Iain Chippendale and Phil Johnston Depart Shrewsbury 07.29, return Borth 18.45
2. TYWYN TO ABERDOVEY via Coast Path, Trefeddian Fach and Crychant (9.5 miles energetic)
Leaders Audrey Menhinnick and Barbara Phillips. Depart Shrewsbury 09.31 return Aberdovey 17.27. Book Tywyn return.
Saturday 26th May
1. LLANDUDNO JUNCTION TO LLANFAIRFECHAN via Conway, North Wales Path and Druids circle (12 miles strenuous)
Leaders Mark Phillips and Dennis Jones Depart Shrewsbury 07.22, return Llanfairfechan 16.09 or 18.09
2. MACHYNLLETH CIRCULAR via Pont-ar-Ddyfi, Hafodty, Dolgelynen, Twllnodwydd, and Cwm Gila (8 miles moderate)
Leaders Peter Jones and Pete Lightwood. Depart Shrewsbury 9.31 return 16.08
Saturday 2nd June
1. MACHYNLLETH TO TAL-Y-BONT via Bwlch, Cwmrhaeadr, Anglers Retreat, Winllan and Leri Valley (15 miles strenuous)
Leaders Andrew Pike and Alan Davies Depart Shrewsbury 07.29, return BUS from Tal-y-Bont Depart Machynlleth 18.05
2. ABERGAVENNY CIRCULAR via riverside and Canal (7 miles easy). Leaders Bob and Liz Owen. Depart Shrewsbury 9.40 return 16.01
Saturday 9th June
1. TALYBONT TO BARMOUTH via Pont Fadog, Moelyblithcwm, Crib y Rhiw and Diffwys. (16 miles strenuous)
Leaders Liz Cruickshanks and Mike Downward Depart Shrewsbury 07.29 Return Barmouth 16.56
2. BUCKNELL TO KNIGHTON via Stow Hill, Stow Church and Lee Cottage (7 miles moderate)
Leaders Marion Law and Susan McCormack. Depart Shrewsbury 9.00 return Knighton 16.21 Book Knighton return.
Wednesday 13th June
WELSHPOOL CIRCULAR via Lower Llanerch-y-ddol and Y Golfa (8 miles moderate).
Leaders Pamela Hill and Neville Homent. Depart Shrewsbury 9.31 return 16.56
Saturday 16th June
1. NEW DOLYWERN TO LLANDRILLO via Spring Hill, Cefn Hir-fynydd, Rhos, Tomle and Cadair Bronwen (17 miles strenuous)
Leaders Mick Guest and Alan Davies Depart Shrewsbury 8.22, arrive Chirk 08.47, then BUS at 09.06, arriving Dolywern 09.15, return T3 bus Llandrillo 18.30, arrive Ruabon 19.18, depart Ruabon 19.51
2. BARMOUTH TO LLWYNGWRIL via Morfa Mawddach, Bryn Seward and Rhiw Corniau (7 miles moderate)
Leaders Pam Swales and Clare Gathercole Depart Shrewsbury 9.31, return Llwyngwril 17.10 Book Barmouth return.
Saturday 23rd June
1. BORTH TO ABERYSTWYTH via Penrhyn-coch and Capel Bangor (14 miles strenuous)
Leaders Pat Talbott and Mike Downward Depart Shrewsbury 07.29, return Aberystwyth 17.30
2. SHIFNAL CIRCULAR via Hatton Grange (9 miles moderate)
Leaders Neville Homent and Pete Lightwood). Depart Shrewsbury 9.47 return 16.46
Saturday 30th June
1. CHANGED MACHYNLLETH CIRCULAR via Forge, Ty-gwyn, Rhiw Goch, Hafodwnog, Cwmrhaeadr (13 miles strenuous)
Leaders Phil and Cheryl Johnston Depart Shrewsbury 07.31 Return Machynlleth 18.05
2. CHURCH STRETTON CIRCULAR via Ragleth Hill, Little Stretton, Ashes Hollow and Carding Mill Valley (8 miles moderate)
Leaders Steve Paynter and Peter Jones. Depart Shrewsbury 9.40 return 16.55
Wednesday recce walks
As the name suggests, these walks are designed to either recce walks that are already scheduled on the current Rail Rambles programme or to explore new walks with a view to including them on a future programme and thus enhance what is currently on offer. Whilst they are not fully recced, they will all be led by experienced Rail Ramble leaders with the proviso that, unlike walks shown above, the leader cannot absolutely guarantee the return time. Walkers take part at their own risk, and must be prepared for difficult conditions, a potentially longer walk than is described and be well equipped. If you are unsure whether to take part in one of these walks, please contact Mick guest beforehand on 01902 756530 or 07780353617.
Wednesday 21st March
Knucklas to Bucknell, via Bwlch-y-Plain, Jack Myton Way, Five Turnings, and Stow Hill. 14 miles. Transport: Out 10:09 from Shrewsbury Back 17:43 from Bucknell. Book to Knucklas.